Thursday, August 2, 2012

Politics

I'll be 29 years old next month. I know, I'm having a hard time grasping that minor detail as well. Even as I type this I still can't imagine myself being 29. That is one year away from being 30. Next thing you know I'll be turning 40 and that just can't be possible. I remember when my parents all turned 40, I laughed at them. We bought my dad black balloons. I'm not my parents, how can I be 40 like they once were. I DO NOT want black balloons.

I turned 18 during my senior of high school. I thought it was so cool that I was finally considered an adult and could drop out of school if I wanted to. One of my favorite courses and teachers that year was American government taught by Mr. Woody. His class was a breeze and we learned all about how our government worked. He taught us the ins and outs of voting and why it was such as privilege to be able to do so. I should have become a registered voter then, but it never happened.

I'll be 29 years old next month and have never voted in any election, let alone a presidential election. I'm sure by now you're all wondering why and some may even be in shock that as an American citizen I have never chosen to do so. I don't owe anyone an explanation nor do I expect anyone to understand my reasoning but here it goes.

I have Crohns disease.

There I said it, are you judging me? Are you shaking your head in disbelief? Are you laughing that that is my only reason why?

If you said yes to any of the above then please stop.

What so many people do not understand with my disease, is that not only does it affect you physically, but it does a number on you mentally.

This disease can turn you into a prisoner of your home before you even realize it's happening. You're afraid to leave the comfort and privacy of your own home. You're fearful of those less compassionate and understanding than you. And your afraid of not being in control of your body in certain surroundings.

One of my biggest fears with this disease is that I will be in a position of needing to use the restroom and being denied the opportunity. This fear haunted me through my years of school, going back as far as third grade and the fear followed me into the work force. The thought of being in a classroom with a teacher that would not allow you to go, or being in a corporate meeting and being embarrassed to get up and walk out of the room unexcused was difficult to get past.  These are fears that have led to my severe anxiety issues that medication doesn't always help with.

This my friends, is why my Crohns has kept me from voting.

I was always under the assumption that when you register to vote, you automatically get put into a hat and risk the chance of randomly having your name pulled for jury duty. I can only imagine how a judge would feel if during the middle of a very important trial, I have to excuse myself multiple times to use the little girls room. I know for many of you, you may feel that that is a piss poor excuse, but it is what it is and unless you have this horrid disease, then you'll never truly understand what it has done to me.

Tonight I took a stand against it. Tonight I have begun the registration process to vote in the 2012 presidential election. Why you ask? Because I refuse to continue being a quiet casualty of those running this country into the ground. I have allowed crooked politicians, backing fraudulent big name corporations all who have power and greed to make political decisions for me.

No more!

My one little vote may not make a difference, but it will be counted. I have a voice and it will be heard. While my political party is nobody's business, not even my husbands, rest assured that I will be voting in a manner that I think will be most beneficial to me and my daughters. Daniel can speak his own mind.

Have you registered to vote? If not, click on the link below if you live in the state of Ohio. Together we can all make a difference!

Voter Registration

If you live somewhere other than the state of Ohio. Go to your states website and it should give you the correct information. Remember to never give out your personal information as your state website should give you the correct paperwork and information to print out and mail in your forms. Do not go to a .org or a .com site, .gov sites or the safest route.

No comments :

Post a Comment