Monday, June 25, 2012

It finally happened...

I knew that it was just a matter of time before we made our first visit to Children's Hospital. The girls are little dare devils and it doesn't matter how many times they get into trouble for climbing the stairs or standing on the end tables in the living room, they still break the law time and time again. We've gotten to the point where we are just letting them learn the hard way and pray that it doesn't result in serious injury.

Our first run to the ER though, didn't involve any cuts or scrapes or broken bones, thank goodness. The reason why we did go was scary enough though.

I noticed towards the middle of last week, after not having much of an appetite and being pretty lethargic for her usual self, that Cadence had her first molar coming in. She started running a pretty high fever Wednesday evening so we kept her doped up on Tylenol and put her to bed early thinking that it would run its course and she would be a little better by the morning. Although her fever subsided, she started to develop some weird rash around her mouth. By the next day, her upper body was covered in this rash and I noticed that it intensified the warmer she would get.

By Friday night she was very crabby. Cried herself to sleep that night, and around 11:30 as I was headed to bed, she woke up crying again. I decided to get her up and throw her in bed with us thinking that it would calm her down enough that she would fall back to sleep. Over the course of the next twenty minutes she just couldn't get comfortable. She would go back and forth between Daniel and I, and was doing this pitiful whine the entire time. Her rash at this point was all over her face, neck, belly, and back.

She finally crawled over to me in the bed and rested her head and upper body on my tummy. I began gently scratching her back and playing with her hair which usually calms her down right away. It was during the few minutes that I was playing with her hair that I discovered a marble sized bump along her hairline, right behind her right ear.

Now, being the negative nelly that I tend to be, I automatically assumed that it was a big deal. I just knew that something wasn't right with that bump, and shouldn't be associated with a teething baby. Since her rash seemed to be getting worse and she just hadn't been acting like her normal self, we both agreed that I should run her up to Children's emergency room juts to make sure it was nothing serious.

I cried the entire drive to downtown Dayton, and was still crying when I checked her in. The nurse was so sympathetic with me and after she filled out a few more things on the computer she came around to where I was standing, holding Cadence, and started feeling the bump and checking her vitals visually. She told me then that because of where the bump was located and the fact that it was squishy instead of firm, that it more than likely was just a swollen lymph node. Praise the Lord.


I calmed down immediately after she told me that, but still knew that with the rash and everything else, something could still be wrong.
After what seemed like an eternity, we had a resident come in, look her over, and check all of her vitals. These minor little tasks required me getting up on the bed with Cadence and holding her against my tummy. She did not like having her ears and throat looked at...lol. The resident confirmed that the bump was nothing more than a swollen lymph node, which meant she probably had some sort of virus. And she agreed that the rash was nothing more than just a rash caused by her fevers and when she got really warm. It was so hot in the room they had us in that her rash got worse while we sat and waited.

After the resident left, her boss, the head doctor, came in and confirmed everything the resident had said. They doped her up with some Benadryl and she fell asleep on me while we waited for the strep test to come back. After we received word that it was negative, they got our walking papers and sent us on our merry way.

We didn't get home until after 4 a.m. and after putting her to bed, and sending e-mails and facebook messages to the family and friends who wanted updates on her condition, I finally made it to bed around 5 a.m.

I'm so glad my baby is all right. This was another reminder of how blessed I am to have two healthy, vibrant little girls. I don't take their well being for granted!! I know this trip probably isn't our last, but I'm glad the initiation process was an easy one with a great outcome.

No comments :

Post a Comment